On this day, 14 years ago, the world lost a little bit of its magic, when at 11pm, my little sister took her final breath and life changed as we all knew it. She was only 17 years old. 17 years and 19 days to be exact. As I sat here today reading all the lovely messages written about her, my heart soared with pride in the fact that in her short time with us, she managed to have such a big impact on so many people. Marguerite Mary O'Dwyer, an ambassador for mischief, mockery and for having a marvellous time. I miss her so much.
It is funny how every year there is something different that I focus on for the anniversary. I never choose my train of thought, I think the year since the last anniversary chooses it for me. Last night, I got fairly plastered on wine and when my other half went to his bed, I sat and sang along to every sad song I could think of. I had a wee chat with Mags before I went to bed and woke up this morning well rested and ready to seize the day. I got quite sad a…
I always struggle with challenges such as these, where I have to give some facts about myself. Can I think of 20 things and if so will they be any good? Pressure! Well... here goes....
1. I love letters. Not bills and what not, I mean real, news filled letters. I have a handful of people whom I write to, and they write back in return. Alas, I am not very good at replying in a timely manner! I have had penpals since I was about 11 years old. Two of which were from Belarus. Their names were Tatiana and Irena. One of the highlights of their letters were the wee boxed stationery that they used to write on. I loved it so much.
2. I dislike sheep. Immensely.
3. I have 2 tattoos. One of a fairy, and one of a fox.
4. I love ducks and foxes. And Hairy Coos.
5. I think puns are severely underrated.
6. My favourite book is Jane Eyre.
7. My favourite author is more difficult... maybe Jasper Fforde... though the compilations of Irish tales by Sinead DeValera have a special place in my heart as do …
It has been a long, long time since I have written a blog post.
I don't know why, it has taken me so long, nor shall I apologise for it.
I could give you a thousand excuses and reasons, but I guess the main reason is that I didn't feel like I had an awful lot to say!
That is not true, I always have a lot to say. The topics that have been on my mind however are quite emotive (mostly Brexit related, and let's be honest we have read and heard more than enough about that shite), and it is very difficult to write something when you yourself don't even understand how you feel about it.
For me it is mostly disappointment, and nobody wants to read a whole blog piece about me feeling disappointed. So tonight, I am writing a much more positive one. I am writing some thankfuls.
I have spent the last few months reading and writing. I have spent some time with my family back in Ireland, and spent some wonderful time with Stuart, his family and my friends here in Aberdeen. I was ref…